20th February 2019 9:15 am
£75 (includes lunch)
Coventry Myton Hospice
This study day combines three workshops: Symptom management in the last few days of life; Dysphagia and feeding at risk; and Mouth care.
- 09:15 Registration and refreshments
09:30 - 11:30 Symptom management in the last few days of life.
Description: An interactive session in which to review and develop your knowledge of managing symptoms in the last hours and days of life.
- Identify common symptoms that may occur in the last days of life.
- Discuss how to recognise symptoms when verbal communication is no longer an option.
- Identify appropriate drugs to use to manage symptoms, including the use of syringe drivers.
- Consider some of the common contraindications and side-effects of palliative medications.
- Discuss non-drug approaches to symptom management.
- Consider symptom management from a holistic perspective.
Facilitators: Dr Katharine Leach and Karen Badgery
Target Audience: Registered Nurses and Allied Healthcare Professionals, and Senior Care Staff.
11:45 - 13:15 Dysphagia and Feeding at risk
Description: A chance to explore the practical and ethical issues surrounding swallowing problems towards the end of life.
- Learning Outcomes/Session Content.
- Anatomy & physiology of swallowing.
- Causes of deteriorating swallow & dysphagia.
- The role of Speech & Language Therapy in end of life care.
- Feed at risk: decisions, conversations & implications.
- Practical feeding tips & considerations.
- Practical session & case studies.
Target audience: All Health and Social Care Staff
Facilitator: Leonora Small, Speech & Language Therapist, Community Mental Health Team.
13:15 - 14:00 Lunch (Provided)
14:00 - 16:00 Mouth care
Description: A chance to revise the anatomy of the mouth, and discuss the importance of good oral hygiene for your patients. Includes a practical session.
- Explain why mouth care is so important
- Describe the consequences of poor oral hygiene
- Label the anatomy of the mouth
- Identify what mouth care tools to use for your patients, and how to use them.
- Recognise some common mouth problems and identify what action to take.
Target Audience: All health and social care staff.
Facilitator: Karen Badgery
Book online today
For more information please call us on 01926 838 802 or email firstname.lastname@example.org